Friday 14 November 2014

Ways #2Learn: expanding my focus by expanding this blog's focus


I am finding that my creative entrepreneurial practice and self-directed postgraduate study is proving to be vastly more beneficial and fulfilling than a pre-arranged master's degree. Therefore, for the time being, I am staying off the conventional path, while I continue to explore the wilderness.

When I first started this blog and its research focus I described it as being something new and fantastic.

But is it actually something new and fantastic?

I don't know.

But from my point of view it is, because this overall project-and-blog-thing is very much tied up with my larger personal development aims, so naturally I have a great deal of enthusiasm invested in the overall focus of Ways 2 Interface.

Recently, mainly due to various pieces of equipment failing me, my childhood interest in electronics has been revived. More on this later...



This blog started its life as a research focus extension of the concerns of my First Class BA (Hons) in Creative Writing with Film and Screen Studies and, in particular, the focuses of my two final year dissertations: EYES (practical dissertation) and Ways of Being: The Spectator and the Spectacle (award-winning theoretical dissertation). 

Hence, the name of this blog: Ways 2 Interface a.k.a. Round 2.

Welcome #2Interface - my original intention for this blog (you don't have to read it).

However, the initial focus of just presenting my extended research and considerations never felt quite right - it always felt incomplete. After essentially writing another dissertation spread across the first four posts of this blog, I decided to reassess its situation and where exactly I stood in regards to my academic interests.

Why #2Interface: expanding my focus + focusing my interests = mastering the enterprising researcher - my reassessment of this blog and its focus (again, you do not need to read this).

Ultimately, this project was always building towards a master's degree in Creative Technologies and Enterprise that I was very interested in undertaking (there is still a huge maybe hanging over this) and, when I reassessed the situation in regards to my postgraduate education, it occurred to me what was really missing from this blog - MOOCs!

The many different MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) I had undertaken throughout the later of 2013 and the full breadth of 2014. 




MOOC-tastic - a pinterest board collecting together the many MOOCs I have and I am enrolled upon.

From the many different disciplines of the MOOCs I have studied, it is clear to see that I have a hybrid focus that extends far beyond the creative writing and film focus of my BA (Hons).

Basically - my MOOCs, the vast swathes of time they have eaten up and the reflections they have nurtured me to produce on various different aspects of my overall education and creative application - are very much an expression of my expanded hybrid focus.


I had to replace some of the components in my computer monitor and I also used the previous power board (top center) to generate a new background for this blog.



Additionally, I am finding that my creative entrepreneurial practice and self-directed postgraduate study is proving to be vastly more beneficial and fulfilling than a pre-arranged masters degree. Therefore, for the time being, I am staying off the conventional path, while I continue to explore the wilderness.

Finally, why in sanity's name was I not talking about all of this and refining my focus even more so on this perfectly suited blog!

So I am now.

Welcome #2interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment